Why is our water still fluoridated? I don’t quite understand why the CDC continues supporting this unproven and unscientific practice. And why do the ADA and other health organizations support it, too? After reading this article you may have the same questions.
Fluoride is a Developmental Neurotoxin
Fluoride has now been classified as a developmental neurotoxin by medical authorities in the Lancet Neurology in March 2014. The authors Dr. Philippe Grandjean of the Harvard School of Public Health and Dr. Philip Landrigan of the ICHAN School of Medicine state, “A meta-analysis of 27 cross-sectional studies of children exposed to fluoride in drinking water, mainly from China, suggests an average IQ decrement of about 7 points in children exposed to raised fluoride concentrations.” Most of these 27 studies had fluoride levels equal to what the US allows in their drinking water – less than 4mg/liter.
So, what exactly is a “developmental neurotoxin”? A developmental neurotoxin is a substance that damages the developing nerve tissues. Some neurodevelopmental disorders are autism, ADD, mental retardation and cerebral palsy.
A few industrial chemicals recognized as a neurotoxin are: lead, arsenic, methylmercury, ethanol and glutamate.
Grandjean and Landrigan write, “Our very great concern is that children worldwide are being exposed to unrecognized toxic chemicals that are silently eroding intelligence, disrupting behaviors, truncating future achievements and damaging societies, perhaps most seriously in developing countries.” Grandjean says, “Fluoride seems to fit in with lead, mercury and other poisons that cause chemical ‘brain drain.’” He goes on to say, “The effect of each toxicant may seem small, but the combined damage on a population scale can be serious, especially because the brain power of the next generation is crucial to all of us.”
8 Reasons Why Water Fluoridation Needs to End
1. Fluoride is not a nutrient and there is not a single biochemical process in the body that requires it.
2. Once the fluoride is in the water there is no way to control the dosage by individual.
3. There is no informed consent in adding fluoride to the water supply.
4. According to the CDC 41% of American children between the ages of 12 and 15 have developed dental fluorosis to some degree.
5. There is no scientific study that shows swallowing fluoride prevents tooth decay.
6. Fluoride accumulates in the bones and early symptoms of fluoride poisoning are identical to arthritis. It can also lead to frail bones, easy to fracture.
7. Fluoride is said to fight tooth decay, but the FDA has never labeled it as such. They have labeled it as an “unapproved drug,” though.
8. Most dental authorities now say the effectiveness of fluoride lies in topical application and not a systemic application.
Based on all of this data I don’t know why we are continuing to fluoridate our water. There are some cities that don’t fluoridate: Tucson, AZ; Wichita, KS; Portland, OR; Fresno, CA; Albuquerque, NM and San Jose, CA.
Fortunately, your electric water ionizer can filter out fluoride for you, allowing you to altogether avoid this nasty by-product of the pesticide industry.
Here is another article I wrote on fluoride.
I really do hope more communities start jumping on the anti-fluoridation bandwagon, and soon.